As a kid, I was raised on traditional English porridge, or most people call it oatmeal. It was not the instant Quaker Oats but the thick-cut or steel-cut oats of my mother’s homeland.
She would serve it steaming hot, with butter and brown sugar then, but today I’ve learned to top it with luscious things to make it healthful and richly delicious!
This one is topped with caramelized banana, berry compote, pumpkin seeds, almond slices, almond butter, coconut yogurt.
- Make your traditional oatmeal with ½ cashew milk and ½ water.
- Add 4-6 dates chopped.
- Make fruit compote from frozen mixed berries, about 2 cups in a saucepan with:
- ¼ cup of water
- ½ juice of a lemon
- ¼ teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1-1 ½ tablespoons of brown rice syrup
- Cook over medium heat until reduced.
- Top porridge with banana, a spoonful of yogurt, a spoonful of berries, pumpkin seeds, flaxseed meal, then add a spoonful of almond butter into porridge.